F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
All Recipes » Beef Recipes » Souvlaki with Tzaziki () 4 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Posts 
Email to friend 

AuthorThread
root

February 2004

Souvlaki with Tzaziki Sun, 18 July 2004 22:01
Souvlaki
2 lb Lamb shoulder -OR- Sirloin tip; cut in 1 1/2" long strips
1/4 c olive oil
3 tsp lemon rind
2 c red wine; dry
Sweet peppers
Cherry tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano

Tzaziki
2 c plain yogurt
½ English cucumber, peeled and grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Begin preparing the tzaziki a few hours before serving. The flavours need time to blend. Marinate the meat overnight to absorb the wine and garlic.

Souvlaki: Place the meat in a large bowl. Pour in the wine and sprinkle minced garlic and oregano. Imbed the lemon strips among the cubes of meat and drizzle with olive oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight. Shake or stir the mixture several times during the marination period.

Tzaziki: Line a colander or sieve with cheesecloth (or gauze) and set it over a bowl. Pour in the yogurt and allow it to drip for an hour or so. After the yogurt has drained, combine it, in a small bowl, with the cucumber and the garlic. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until just before serving. While the meat is BBQing, drizzle the olive oil over the surface, and without stirring, sprinkle on the salt.

To Freeze: Freeze in freezer safe container.

To Reheat: Grill until done. Spoon Tzaziki on top.

Chris

February 2004

Re: Souvlaki with Tzaziki Mon, 19 July 2004 21:05
Ok two reviews on this one: 1 - Made with Chicken - It SUCKED. I did not like it at all. Heather thought it was good though. 2 - With Lamb - I saved some of the marinade and made a few lamb kabobs with it and it was GREAT!!! I knew the marinade was more red meat based... Prob just as good with beef. Serve it with some pita bread, rice and the sauce (the sauce really is what makes this dish stand out as something different...)

Jenn

February 2004

Re: Souvlaki with Tzaziki Tue, 24 August 2004 19:53
Nope, couldn't even eat this one. Didn't like it at all. I would be willing to try it with beef though, as I think that the chicken just absorbs too much of the wine in the marinade.

tessar

February 2004

Re: Souvlaki with Tzaziki Mon, 11 July 2005 18:46
Much better than the chicken version. Not bad, but not a favorite. Definitely better w/ the sauce and pita bread.

Chris

February 2004

Re: Souvlaki with Tzaziki Tue, 12 July 2005 12:59
What is it with you all and ethnic foods? heheh I think would havebeen better if I had sliced it and skewered it, but I liked it the way it was also. Slice the steak and put into the bread w/ sauce and its like a Gyro (this is the original greek dish that Gyros are based off of). Anyway Ok, two tries on this one and no excitement.. so we can strike it from the menu! heh (I encourage anyone else reading these recipies to TRY THIS ONE!! Especially with Lamb!)

Liem

February 2004

Re: Souvlaki with Tzaziki Tue, 12 July 2005 20:22
Not my favorite, but I'm not a pita or cold yogurt on meat fan. The meat was fine, but as a whole, I didn't like it at all.

Jenn

February 2004

Re: Souvlaki with Tzaziki Tue, 12 July 2005 20:26
Ditto Liem's response. Wasn't a fan of the sauce or the pita. The steak was ok, not my favorite, but still edible. The wine flavor was still pretty significant. Sorry Chris...we tried. =)

Previous Thread:Rosemary-Merlot Flank Steak
Next Thread:Roast Sirloin with Mustard Pepper Crust
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:09:07 PDT 2024

15 MySQL queries took 0.0097239017486572 seconds
Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01784610748291 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.